Philip H. Burrus, IV, Attorney at Law
Philip Burrus worked with Motorola, Inc. from 1997 through 2005.
Serving as Senior Patent Counsel, he was solely responsible for
the intellectual property prosecution and portfolio management
of the Energy Systems Group, a $700 million business. In 2005,
to answer the needs of in-house counsel across Atlanta, he founded
the Burrus Intellectual Property Law Group.
He has extensive experience with intellectual property prosecution, as well as portfolio
development and management, for businesses both small and large. With degrees in engineering,
business and law, as well as experience as an entrepreneur, he brings a broad and dynamic
perspective to intellectual property issues. He is licensed to practice in Georgia, North Carolina,
Washington, D.C. and before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
He was named a "Rising Star" in 2010, 2011, and 2012 by Georgia Super Lawyers magazine, and
previously served as the Chairman of the Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Georgia.
Legal and Business Experience:
- 2005-Present - Principal, Burrus Intellectual Property Law Group, LLC
- 2000-2005 - Patent Counsel, Motorola, Inc.
- 1997-2000 - Electrical Engineer, Motorola, Inc.
- 1995-1997 - Design Engineer, Schlumberger Industries
- 1993-1998 - Founder, Vice President, Concept IV, Inc.
- Juris Doctor, Emory University
- Master of Business Administration, Goizueta Business School, Emory University
- Master of Electrical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Master of Agriculture, Agronomy, Auburn University (expected 2016)
- Winemaker's Certificate, University of California at Davis
- Chairman, Intellectual Property Section, State Bar of Georgia (2012-2013)
- Member, 11th Circuit Advisory Committee, American Inns of Court (2013-Present)
- Barristers' Representative, Executive Committee, Atlanta Intellectual Property Inn of Court (2011-Present)
- Chair Elect, Intellectual Property Section of Georgia Bar (2011-2012)
- Vice Chair, Intellectual Property Section of Georgia Bar (2010-2011)
- Secretary, Intellectual Property Section of Georgia Bar (2009-2010)
- Treasurer, Intellectual Property Section of Georgia Bar (2008-2009)
- Chairman, Patent Committee of Georgia Bar (2005-2006;2006-2007;2007-2008)
- Chairman, In-House IP Committee of Georgia Bar (2004-2005)
- Executive Committee Member, IP Section of Georgia Bar (2004-2014)
- Member of Georgia, North Carolina and Washington DC Bar Associations
- Inaugural Member, Atlanta Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Member AIPLA
- Certified Sommelier, accredited by the Court of Master Sommeliers
- Authorized G.O.L.F. Instructor (GSEM), accredited by The Golfing Machine
- Presiding Partner, Ramblin' Reck Syndicate Investment Club
- Pro Bono counsel for W.R.E.K., 91.1 FM
- Volunteer counsel for Georgia Lawyers for the Arts
Support and Administrative Staff
Our support staff offers years of operational expertise and extensive experience in intellectual property, primarily in the
area of patents and trademarks. Our docketing department offers world-class docketing expertise, as is evident from our client log-in portal, where every client has instant access to their files, both on mobile devices and via any web browser. Additionally, we have in-house experience,
with a special focus on docketing, case management, client support, and innovation disclosure
systems. We are incredibly fortunate to have staff with experience in patent litigation,
trademark prosecution, and client management.